There is a concentration of excellent dive sites near Harbor Island, if you are interested in exploring wrecks. Near the small island of Spanish Wells is the 'Devil's Backbone', an area which has many wrecks, old and modern. Also nearby is the 'Eleuthera Train Wreck', where the wreckage of railroad cars lays, from the era of the Civil War. There is a 1919 freighter, 200 feet long nearby, in about 35 feet of water. Finally, there is a 265 foot freighter, that sank in 1971 to explore in the same general area.
If you are interested in sealife, below are some of the interesting areas, with the accompanying number showing their location on the map of Eleuthera:
1) SPLIT REEF: Large coral head, surrounded by sand; beautiful fan corals, large fish; canyon split and tunnel through entire reef; 45 feet.
2) HIGH HEAD: Steep coral head plunging from 10 feet to 50 feet; superb for varying photography; large brain coral formations and anemones.
3) FAIRYLAND-Finger reefs stretching from 20 to 30 feet; good for soft corals and sponges.
4) BLACK SHOALS-Series of heads ranging from 25-35 feet; huge vase sponges, large morays,turtles and grouper abound in this area.
5) TWIN HEADS-Double your fun! These heads seem to be the permanent homeof large stingrays and huge schools of margate and other BIG fish; 30 feet.
6) FLOWER GARDEN-Literally blooming with color; large open reef area 25'deep; coral fingers growing within few feet of surface; good for shells and basket stars.
7) PIMLICO-Down at 90 feet, everything seems big; especially the groupers (and sharks!?); lots of holes to poke in and around.
8)THE DROP-OFF-Experienced divers only! This drop-off starts at 120 feet and continues to 6,000 feet.
9) INDIAN MOUND-95 feet deep coral pinnacle boasting of large Jewfish; right next to DEEP ocean; some unusual visitors on occasion.
10) THE CURRENT CUT-The most famous and exhilarating drift dive in existence! Most divers can make 3 ten-minute runs on 1 tank, moving from 7 to 10 knots! Varying bottom-30 feet to 65 feet; lots of unusual fish and wreckage.
11) MYSTERY REEF-If coral were ice cream, you could eat this entire reef! Cascades of coral from 10feet to 35 feet; brain coral, lettuce and star corals...everything, mama! Did you ever, in the morning? I'll never tell!